Embracing Autumn

Monday, October 3, 2011

 

 Yep, it's that time of year.  We've been some busy kids, we Torres', but that helps take away from the fact that winter is well on it's way.

Since we've talked last, I've been to Anaheim and back for work (and yes, I did go to Disneyland, but only to eat...No rides for this preggers!), caught a nasty head cold which I am still contending with (another highlight of being in the expecting section of society, no meds to alleviate your exploding head...Thank you Neti Pot!) and we've crossed another monthly milestone. 

As always, Team Torres was happy to oblige the month of October with our annual Halloween decorating!  It was so much more fun this year with more yard to bedeck.  We have grinning pumpkins in every window and our shrubs glow orange.  We need lights to make our bushes do that, but clearly not the tree in our front yard...Nature takes care of that one on it's own.  I curse you winter!

Not pictured here is the styrofoam graveyard in our landscaping.  Totally spooktacular!

We also got our annual family portraits taken this past weekend!  We opted for a pumpkin patch/apple orchard this year to fully capture the change in season.  The first adorable photo of Alessandra was taken there, not by our photographer, but my boss' wife who happened to be out there at the same time.  She is SO talented, especially when it comes to taking pics of the kiddos.  Now let's hope the family photos turn out that well!!

In pregnancy news, I am now going on 24 weeks (on Wednesday).  I can't believe how fast this is moving along!  I feel fine with the exception of adjusting to sleeping on primarily my left side as they tell you to do (something to do with major arteries that can get constricted when baby's weight settles on them).  I also have a case of a mildly aching pelvis.  I realize this happens as it starts to widen getting ready for baby boy to make his entrance into this bright, cold world, but I can't help but wonder if this hunka burnin' love will be slightly larger than his sister.  I look bigger earlier, feel bigger earlier, and can really feel him kicking and moving around in there so much earlier than I recall from last time. Alessandra was 7 lbs, 6 ozs, and if I were a bettin' woman, I'd put him at a full pound heavier when he is born, which is a LOT for this little chaquita!

Mama Bear at 24 weeks

Big Sister Bear at 24 weeks.  Wait, she keeps getting skinnier!
 Weirdly enough, however, I am still not in maternity clothes.  Now, don't get me wrong, I COULD be in maternity clothes, but so far my regular clothes are still fitting just fine.  I have 3 theories on this:

1. Pregnancy the first time around is novel, so you can't wait until you start showing and wearing maternity clothes.  Elastic is like a rite of passage or something.

2.  I started bigger this time around.  Even though I was officially back in the same sizes when I started this go-around, my hips are probably permanently wider and other regions permenantly...well...different.  (Not in a good way...Le sigh.)

3.  Since I braved the skinny jeans trend, those would all have been new since 2008.  That also means MUCH lower waists which are crazy easy to rock underneath the growing belly when needed.

So, there ya have it.  Take it for what you will, but for me, I'm bragging.  I'M NOT IN MATERNITY CLOTHES YET!  Holla!

As for an Ali update, she is as good as ever.  We have been noticing a strong increase in manners which just translates into adorableness.  Last night she refused to eat her dinner and then put herself into time out.  When Ricardo told her it was okay to come out, she approached us both and on her own accord proceeded to apologize  to each one of us for not eating her dinner.  She then ate the mandated amount (three more bites, now that she's 3 years old) so that she would be allowed a night time snack. 

Halloween is her absolute favorite holiday and she will tell anybody who will listen that she is going to be a witch this year.  We found the perfect costume this past weekend for her, and even let her try it on last night.  Let's just say that we are now counting the number of "sleeps" until Halloween is here.  "Only 29 more sleeps!"  She tells me about once an hour that she loves Halloween and loves coming up with costume ideas for me.  (So far, it's been Batman, a ghost, and another witch.)

We had her 3-year checkup last week and she is still tall and skinny for her age group.  Absolutely normal development physically and a tad advanced mentally.  She received two vaccinations and literally did not even flinch when she was getting her shot in the arm, nor when she was required to snort the vile flu vaccine through her nose.  She just laughed and called it "silly".

I love her, I love her, I love her.  I know that it is a mere impossibility to hit this kind of jackpot more than once which is why I fully expect Ali's brother to be a handful, but even then, if he is healthy and happy we will be so blessed.


After a chilly couple of weeks, we are finally gaining access to the Indian Summer that all of us midwesterners have grown so fond of.  It will be 80 here all week, and we will be enjoying it while we can. 

Until next week!

xoxo

1 of you love me, and I you:

Yole said...

She is gorgeous.
You look fabulous.
The house is spectacular.

It sounds like all is fantastic in Minnesota! I can't wait to see the family pictures. I KNOW they will be phenomenal as they always are. Sending hugs to all of you!
xo xo xo xo xo